Packaged air-cooled chillers are a quick-to-install solution for companies in industries such as food processing, dairy, and brewing. These systems include a condenser, compressor, and evaporator and use ambient air to extract heat from industrial processes. Attached air fans expedite the cooling process, enhancing the performance and efficiency. Many companies rely on air-cooled chillers to ensure their industrial processes run smoothly. If you’re considering a packaged air-cooled chiller for your company, factor the many benefits into your decision.
Consider the following advantages of packaged air-cooled chillers:
- Low maintenance
- Energy-efficient operation
- Saves interior space
- Appropriate for water-sensitive areas
- Doesn’t affect ambient conditions
Continue reading to learn more about these advantages of packaged air-cooled chillers, as well as a couple of potential drawbacks to consider and the types of packaged air-cooled chillers available.
Packaged air-cooled chillers come in quick-to-install systems that save time and money. With installation teams requiring less time to install this type of chiller system, your company can realize significant upfront cost savings, undeniably boosting your bottom line.
Another advantage of packaged air-cooled chillers is that they have fewer components to maintain than water-cooled systems. Without a cooling tower, condenser pump, and other parts, air-cooled chillers require less maintenance than other systems with a more complex component structure.
Packaged air-cooled chillers have energy-efficient features such as electronically commutated (EC) fans that minimize energy consumption. In the winter months, many companies appreciate the added warming capacity from the expelled heat during the cooling process, which can save heat energy and costs.
Saves interior space
Because packaged air-cooled chillers are housed outdoors, they take up less interior space than water-cooled systems, making them ideal for facilities with space restraints. Air-cooled chillers don’t need cooling towers, condenser pumps, or mechanical rooms to function, lending a space-saving advantage.
Appropriate for water-sensitive areas
If your company is in an area prone to drought or has a limited water supply, packaged air-cooled chillers provide a water-saving alternative to traditional water-cooled systems. By cooling your process with ambient air instead of water, you eliminate the water requirement for optimal performance.
Doesn’t affect ambient conditions
While some water-cooled chillers can produce moisture and cause already-damp industrial environments to exceed ideal levels, packaged air-cooled systems do not modify the ambient humidity or temperature.
Potential drawbacks to consider
While packaged air-cooled chillers have plenty of benefits, there are a couple of potential drawbacks to consider:
- Lifespan – Because air-cooled chillers reside outdoors, they are exposed to environmental elements that could shorten their lifespan, including ice, rain, snow, wind, and hail. On the other hand, water-cooled chillers are located on the interior of your space where they are protected, often giving them a longer lifespan.
- Noise level – The second consideration to keep in mind is noise output. The cooling fans inside packaged air-cooled chiller can produce some level of noise, which may not be ideal for quiet environments.
Are you interested in learning more about the differences between packaged air-cooled chillers and water-cooled chillers? Head to our blog to discover which one is better suited for your application and budget.
Types of packaged air-cooled chillers
Our single, dual, and multi-circuit packaged air-cooled chillers include in-stock and custom-ready engineered solutions in various types, depending on your application and budget.
- Fractional hermetic single circuit chillers
- Value-line single circuit chillers
- Scroll single circuit chillers
- Scroll dual circuit chiller
- Digital scroll single circuit chillers
- Digital scroll dual circuit chillers
- Semi-hermetic single circuit chillers
- Semi-hermetic dual-circuit chillers
- Multi-circuit chillers
- Screw dual circuit chillers
- Tandem scroll chiller
To learn more about our packaged air-cooled chillers and other engineered solutions, request a quote online today.